Saturday, December 4, 2010

Blocks

I'm making these for Christmas gifts. You can be as creative as you want with them. Michael's sells plain wooden blocks but they're 99 cents a piece. Instead, I went to Lowe's and bought the wood and had my dad cut them. I bought 2 pieces that were 6 feet each and it was $11.00. 






Materials: 
Wooden blocks, any size (I used 1 1/2 inch square)
Paper (scrapbook paper, wrapping paper, magazine pages, anything really)
Scissors
Paper cutter (Optional but very helpful)
Mod Podge
Paintbrush
Pen/pencil



Decide what you want your blocks to look like. The simplest way is to make 4 sides with the same paper. To do this, measure or trace a side of your block. Cut your paper into strips that are the same width as the block and 4 times the length, You will also need to cut squares for the top and bottom. 



Wrap a strip around a block and crease the corners a little bit. 


Paint mod podge around the sides of the block and wrap the paper around. Be sure to smooth the paper down as you go so you don't end up with bubbles or wrinkles.




Use scissors or a razor blade to trim the paper so it doesn't hang over the side of the block.




Paint Mod Podge over the top of the paper. Let dry. 


Take a nap with your cat.


Once the sides have dried, glue the tops on and paint Mod Podge over those. Let dry.


Repeat with the bottoms.



And you're done!


2 comments:

  1. This is a really cute idea Mary! I want to try it with fabric. It would be a really cute gift for the little ones :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. It wasn't my idea. :) I made them for all my co-workers. I also made some for Abbie and I put pictures of Isla on them. Fabric is a good idea too. Next time I have some scraps I'll try that.

    ReplyDelete