Monday, March 7, 2011

Vegetarian Lasagna






This recipe sort of comes from Betty Crocker. Only sort of because I never measure and it's never really the same. My measurements are guesses but it doesn't really need to be exact. I'm pretty proud of this particular one because of the little crunchy bits on the edges. 

Ingredients:
1 package Morning Star Farms Meal Starters Grillers Recipe Crumbles 
1 medium onion, chopped
3 or 4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
3 tablespoons parsley
1 tablespoon basil
1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
1 teaspoon sugar
1 can tomato sauce
1 can diced tomatoes
8 lasagna noodles (I prefer the ones you don't have to cook ahead of time)
1 15 oz. container ricotta cheese
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon oregano 
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese


1. In a large skillet, cook Crumbles, onion, and garlic over medium heat until onion is soft but not browned. 


2. Stir in the basil, Italian seasoning, tomatoes, and tomato sauce. Heat to boiling, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for about 45 minutes, or until sauce has thickened. 


3. Heat oven to 350. If you're using the kind of noodles you have to cook first, cook now according to package directions. 


4. In a small bowl, mix the ricotta, half the Parmesan, and the oregano. 


5. In an ungreased 12 X 9ish glass pan, spread half the tomato mixture. Top with 4 noodles. Spread half of the ricotta mixture on top of the noodles. Sprinkle with half the mozzarella cheese. Repeat layers, ending with mozzarella. Sprinkle the remaining Parmesan on top. Cover and bake 30 minutes. Uncover and bake another 15 minutes.  

2 comments:

  1. Oh man, I've been craving lasagna for like three weeks. Do you have any advice on how to do this vegan?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never made vegan lasagna. I know that Follow Your Heart makes pretty good vegan cheese. I've used the mozzarella on pizzas. I don't know what you would use for the ricotta or parmesan though. I also don't think Morning Star Farms products are vegan. I really don't know how to help you. I'm sorry. Google could probably help though.

    ReplyDelete