Friday, March 4, 2011

Better-Than-My-Mom's Pot Roast

Sorry, mom. I heard it from a very unbiased source. He happens to also be my husband. I tried really hard to get a good photo but no matter what I did, it looked like a piece of poop. 


My husband went back to work this week. We work pretty much opposite schedules now and he doesn't want to cook. I'm trying a whole bunch of new things that can be made ahead of time. This worked out perfectly because I just left in it the crock pot when I went to work and it was ready for him when he got home. And he loved it. And it was my first pot roast. Just sayin...


Here's where I found it. 


Ingredients:

1 (2 to 3 pound) blade cut chuck roast
2 teaspoons kosher salt
2 teaspoons cumin
Vegetable oil
1 medium onion, chopped
5 to 6 cloves garlic, smashed
1 cup tomato juice
1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
1 cup cocktail olives, drained and broken

Coat a heavy skillet with olive oil and heat over high heat for 2 minutes. Meanwhile, rub both sides of meat with the salt and cumin. When the pan is very hot, brown the roast on all sides and remove.

Add just a little more vegetable oil to the pan then add the onion and garlic. Stir constantly until onion is softened, being careful not to brown the garlic. Add the tomato juice, vinegar and olives. Bring to a boil and reduce the liquid by half.

Add half of the tomato juice mixture to the bottom of a crockpot. Add the roast, and then top with the remaining mixture. Turn crockpot to high for one hour. Then reduce heat to low and cook for another 4 to 6 hours.

Here's the part my husband had to do. This was easy enough even for him. 

Remove the meat from the crockpot, cover and let rest for at least 1/2 hour.

Drain all of the liquid from the crockpot and put in a blender or food processor. Puree.

Slice meat thinly, or pull apart with a fork. Serve with sauce over egg noodles or rice.



Since we only have one meat-eater in our house, I cut up what he didn't eat and put it in burritos.

No comments:

Post a Comment