Wednesday, April 20, 2011

My Husband's Favorite Chicken



After 12 years without meat, I am no longer a vegetarian. While I was in the ER, I decided I need more protein. My immune system hasn't done very well this year. I'm hoping this will keep me healthy. I've only eaten chicken and turkey. Turkey does not taste good.


 I make this at least once a week for my husband. Today is the first time I ate it. It's kind of sweet. I don't really know how else to describe it. 


Ingredients
1 medium onion, chopped
1-2 teaspoons minced garlic
3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2/3 cup ketchup
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon lemon juice
A pinch of basil
A pinch of salt
A pinch of pepper
1 tablespoon cornstarch
3 tablespoons cold water


1. Combine the onion and the garlic in the bottom of the crock pot. Place the chicken on top. In a small bowl combine all other ingredients except cornstarch and water. Pour on top of the chicken. Cook on high 4-5 hours or on low 6 hours. 


2. Take the chicken out of the crock pot. In a small bowl, mix the cornstarch and water together. Pour it into the crock pot and mix it with the sauce. Cook on high for 15 minutes or until thickened. Pour on top of the chicken. 

No comments:

Post a Comment