Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Sautéed Tofu



I know tofu is scary. Especially if you've had a bad experience with it. I was a vegetarian for 10 years before I liked tofu. I know it's usually the texture. Hopefully this will help. I'm not really going to tell you exactly how to make it. I'll just give you some tips. This is one of my favorite foods now that I know how to make it. Tofu tastes like whatever you cook it with so you want to use lots of flavor. This is what I do:


I start out with firm or extra firm tofu. Then, I squeeze the water out of it for about an hour. I wrap it up in a couple paper towels and put it on a plate. Then I put a cutting board on top of it and a few heavy cans on top of that. Here's my little set up. You'll wanna change the paper towels about halfway through. Your tofu should be a lot less squishy after this. 



I also cut it into pretty small pieces because the inside parts are the soggy parts. With smaller pieces, there's less room for that weird texture.




I like to cook it with about half an onion or bell peppers or broccoli. You can use any vegetables you like. This time I just used onion and minced garlic. I heat up about a tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat. I start the tofu first to make sure it's cooked enough without over cooking the vegetables. I never measure but if I had to guess, I use about 3 parts barbecue sauce, 1 part teriyaki sauce, and 1 part soy sauce. I cook the tofu until it starts to brown a little bit then I add the vegetables.



You want to cook it until the tofu has little crispy bits on the outside, see?


Hopefully this helped. Keep in mind, you can use whatever sauce you want. Tofu tastes like nothing by itself. It just absorbs whatever flavors are around it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment